I’ve been wanting to change my Apple ID email address for a while now but didn’t know how to do it. I finally stopped procrastinating and researched how to do it. Since I was going through the process I decided to write you a tutorial on how to change your Apple email address.
What is your Apple ID?
Your Apple ID is the email address you used to set up your Apple account. Your Apple account manages everything you do with Apple services like iTunes store, App store, iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime and more.
Where Can I Find my Apple ID Email on my iPhone or iPad?
On an iPhone, to find your Apple ID email address:
- Open settings
- Open iTunes & App Store
- Your Apple ID email address is shown at the top of the next screen
How Can I Change My Apple ID Email Address?
Why Change your Apple Email Address?
A few years ago I decided to change my email address. It was a long process to try and move all my accounts and contacts over to new one but I’m just about there. And, I’m glad I made the move. My old email address has been overrun with SPAM. The old email inbox is so cluttered with junk email and SPAM that I barely even look at it anymore. So, it’s time to change my Apple email to my new email address.
A lot of people use the email accounts they get with their ISP (internet service provider). If you do this and you move you’ll find yourself having to create a new email and lose your old one. In this case you’d definitely want to change your Apple ID email address.
How to Change your Apple ID Email Address
Here are the steps to change your Apple ID email address:
- Go to the site: appleid.apple.com
- Sign in using your current Apple ID email address and password
- At the top of your account page you’ll see your current Apple ID email address, click on the ‘Change Apple ID’ link
- Enter the new email address you’d like to use as your Apple email and click continue
- Note: You can’t change your Apple ID to an email address you’re using as a password recovery email address
- Verify your email address
- If this email has not been associated with your account before you will need to verify it. To verify it, Apple will send an email to this address with a code it in. Enter this code on the website where prompted.
How to Change your Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch
After you change your Apple ID email address you need to update your Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad or Watch:
- Open settings
- Open iTunes & Apple Store
- Tap on your Apple ID
- When prompted for your password click cancel
- Your device will show your old Apple ID email address and give you several options. Click sign out.
- Click sign in
- Enter your new Apple ID email address and your password
- Click sign in
So, if you need to change your Apple ID email address don’t be intimidated – it’s actually very easy! If you have problems leave a comment below or check out Apple’s instructions. But, I think Apple’s instructions are more difficult. They have you sign out of every device before changing your Apple ID email. This can be a pain. It works just as well if you follow our instructions above…change the email address for your Apple ID and then log back into each device as needed.